Thursday 21 October 2010

Genre conventions- Digipak

I'm researching into generic conventions of music digipak covers that are of the same genre as to what I am going to create because I need to use these conventions with making my cover. If I do not it will be confusing to have a different genre front cover to the music.
So to start off I will view different album covers of what I consider (and other people consider) to be indie bands.

First of I looked at the front cover of The Wombats. A while ago they were current but not so much now but I know that one of their album covers have been the usually convention of a indie digipak cover. As you can seethe cover is formed by strong, bright coloured photographs all formed into a background. Their cover links with the conceptial music videos they have because this is just a conceptial background. Basing their cover around colour and objects rather than a specific idea. The ideas are very simple, the writing especially with the name of the band and the album name over the background in bright colours.


This is the same with The Maccabees album "Wall of arms" as on the front cover there is plastic dolls that symbolise the band it's self (copies of them) with brightly coloured clothing. This is a combination of both conceptual ideas and the band.






The next cover I will look at is The Libertines (one of the band members of the band suggested this type of style for their video, so I will look at their album cover as well). Again this is very simple idea but it is not a conceptual cover, instead it is a portrait photograph of all the band members in costume (they wore this in the video) so it is easy to recognise the band. It doesn't have bright colours like The Wombats because The Libertines like to stick more to the reality of things, like performing but the costumes create more of a fun mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment